Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rafe's Example

In my experience with the public school system, the students were treated as if they were incompetent by nature and that the teachers always had low expectations for performance and behavior. Rafe's teaching style challenges this completely, teaching the students that they are all capable individuals and can accomplish anything, with the right work ethic and self discipline. Rafe understands that not all students will perform to the best of their abilities, but creates a positive learning environment and works hard to ensure that all of his students leave with a perspective that promotes future improvement. I find his teaching style very refreshing and more like that of a college professor than of a typical elementary school teacher. I can recall two teachers that remind me of Rafe, and, using the same style of high student expectations and positive encouragement, these classes changed my perspective on learning and brought lasting benefits that I have retained to this day. As Rafe said, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” and I think this is especially true of the early education system. Rafe's dedication and enthusiasm sets a high standard, one that can't be expected of all teachers, but the results of his efforts are something that all teachers should take a lesson from.

No comments:

Post a Comment