Friday, April 23, 2010

"We Are Their Voice."


The charitable organization that I would work for would be the ASPCA if I had $20,000 dollars and six months free. The ASPCA was the first humane society in the United States and currently is the largest in the world. They are also the first humane society to be granted legal authority to make arrest for crimes against animals. They work to rescue animals from abusive environments, lobby for humane laws, and share resources with other shelters. Each year they rescue thousands of animals from abusive homes. I think they do great work. I only wish that every humane society across the country had the authority to make arrests. They are a great organization because they give animals a voice. Animals are the only members of our society that are truly voiceless, and they deserve to be treated humanely. We owe it to them to give them a voice and stand up for their rights. If I worked for the ASPCA I would spend my time lobbying for more humane laws, because we as a society still have a long way to come in that area. Especially given this week’s Supreme Court ruling finding an animal cruelty law unconstitutional.

The issue of animal rights is close to my heart because I simply love animals, and I’ve been around animals since I was a baby. My family has taken in a few abused and abandoned dogs, and I’ve witnessed animal abuse firsthand. I think it would be rewarding to give animals a voice.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great organization Melissa! I also love animals and to see them abused and neglected tears my heart out so this is a great way to put a stop to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ASPCA does good work, and I think the fact that they have the ability to make a huge difference on a day to day basis without really high cost would make $20,000 something that could change a lot of lives. Besides, I think our treatment of the "voiceless" members of society says a lot about the state of humanity and how we can learn to seek out those most in need and help them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am a big fan of our befurried friends. I hope that his organization can reach a healthy medium between the "if they're not human who cares" mentality and the sometimes-alienating propagandization of PETA-esque groups that seem to try to win people over by making them hate themselves rather than by making them love animals.

    ReplyDelete