Thursday, April 22, 2010

Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center Inc.



There are many children in the world with multiple disabilities being held back from participating in sports. But, the Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center Inc. is one of the many therapeutic riding centers trying to make a difference for children.

With $20,000 and six months of my time, I believe I could make a difference on many children's lives at the Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center. It's very expensive to maintain a barn, feed horses, maintain land and fencing, but it's also expensive to pay the instructors who dedicate so much of their life to help these children learn basic horsemanship skills. But, why teach children with disabilities to ride? Riding helps inprove balance and strengthen core muscles and the natural gait of a horse helps with coordination in people.
Being an avid horse rider/shower, I have a lot of experience I can add to the Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center without $20,000, but with $20,000 to offer towards better tack and better quality care for the horses it would offer an even greater opportunity to aid these children in accomplishing their dreams.

5 comments:

  1. My best friend's mom is a Hippotherapy instructor. I've been to her clinics and have seen how much of an impact something as simple as riding a horse can have on a child with special needs. This is a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! I knew a girl when I was in high school who was disabled. She was very happy, but not able to do the things normal kids her age were doing. My heart went out to her, but there wasn't much I could do. You sort of feel helpless, but contributing to an organization like this would definitely make you feel like you were making a difference. Good idea Sheree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post. I think this is a great cause to donate to. I knew of an individual with autism who really benefitted from going to riding centers like these. Its amazing to see the benefits and comforts that animals bring to humans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of giving money to help children with disabilities and it makes the child a much happier individual when they can do things that a normal child can do and it makes their self-esteem soar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really great thing! Riding horses is a great therapy! My cousin with Down's Syndrome really loved when she got to ride the horses for therapy. It really did help her.

    ReplyDelete